Cannabis Resources for Health Professionals
As a result of the changes to Canadian law, MUHC librarians have compiled a list of evidence-based resources on cannabis.
The following are intended for health professionals. Resources for the general public are available on our Patient Resource Centre’s cannabis webpage: muhclibraries.ca/cannabis.
- Marijuana (See also the links to English, French and Spanish patient handouts at the top of this article.)
- Cannabidiol (See also the links to English, French and Spanish patient handouts at the top of this article.)
We aim to gradually improve our collection on this topic. For the moment, we invite you to consult the American Academy of Pediatrics’ “Medical risks of marijuana” available at the Glen site. (2017).
To suggest a book or other resource that you would like us to add to our collection: recommend a purchase.
Open Access Resources
Canadian Pharmacists Association
Government of Canada
Michael G. DeGroote Centre for Medicinal Cannabis Research, McMaster University
- Evidence Briefs
- Knowledge Syntheses
- Research Summaries
- Medicinal Cannabis+ Online Database (Requires free registration)
National Academies of Sciences (United States)
- The Health Effects of Cannabis and Cannabinoids: The Current State of Evidence and Recommendations for Research (2017)
In collaboration: CMQ, OPQ, OIIQ, OPIQ, OPDQ
Collège des médecins du Québec, Ordre des pharmaciens du Québec, Ordre des infirmières et infirmiers du Québec, Ordre professionnel des inhalothérapeutes du Québec et Ordre professionnel des diététistes du Québec (in French only)
World Health Organization
Recent Publications (via PubMed)
Numerous scientific articles are published on this topic :
- Literature reviews and systematic reviews: McGill access | MUHC access
- Guidelines: McGill access | MUHC access
Including two recent Canadian guidelines:
- Toward Optimized Practice (TOP) Medical Cannabinoids in Primary Care Prescribing Guideline Committee. 2018 January. Medical cannabinoids clinical practice guideline. Edmonton, AB: Toward Optimized Practice.
- Allan, G. M., Ramji, J., Perry, D., Ton, J., Beahm, N. P., Crisp, N., . . . Lindblad, A. J. (2018). Simplified guideline for prescribing medical cannabinoids in primary care. Can Fam Physician, 64(2), 111-120.
For any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact a librarian.
Published August 8, 2018, updated March 11, 2019